5 Minimalist Lifestyle Tips
Posted on: February 27, 2019 | by: Joseph Beatty
Thinking about becoming a minimalist? Living more of a minimalistic lifestyle has gotten exceedingly popular in recent years. So, what is minimalism and how can I be a minimalist? Keep reading this post to find out!
What is a Minimalistic Lifestyle?
The concept of minimalism is about living with less. This includes less unnecessary expenses, debt, extra clothing and more. When you focus on a minimalistic lifestyle, you are focusing on the things that matter most to you and getting rid of anything that doesn’t bring value to your life. The list of benefits of being a minimalist is long. Included on this list are: more financial freedom, a less cluttered home, owning higher quality things and increased productivity.
So, how can you become a minimalist? Give the minimalistic lifestyle a try by following these 5 tips!
How to Be a Minimalist
- Get rid of duplicates: Walk through your house and pull out anything you have duplicates of. For example, if you have two measuring cups, hair brushes or copies of books, set them aside for a few months. If after a few months you haven’t needed any of these duplicated items, donate them.
- Schedule less appointments and dates: A part of becoming a minimalist is clearing your life clutter. Schedule less meetups with friends and social events. While by no means does a minimalist lifestyle require you to be anti-social, it just helps you to be more selective with your time. Scheduling fewer social events will also help you to be more present at each event.
- Plan a mix and match wardrobe: Sort through your clothes and pull out anything you haven’t worn in the last year. After pulling out anything that doesn’t get worn, look for items that you can only wear on occasion. The goal of a minimalistic wardrobe is to be able to mix and match your items with other things you have in your wardrobe. This can be done by holding onto basic items as well as a few statement pieces like jewelry, scarves and jackets.
- Simplify your diet: Being a minimalist also translates into your diet. Maybe this means that you try to limit the amount of times you eat out a week. Or, maybe this translates into choosing a few base ingredients to have on hand at home and mixing and matching the ingredients. Living a minimalistic lifestyle does not mean you have to eat the same thing every night. It just means you should make an effort to be more creative with your purchases.
- Focus on only the necessities: One of the best parts about living a minimalistic lifestyle is that you’ll be able to save money. When you only purchase the necessities, you’ll have more money to pay off past debt.
Ease into a Minimalistic Lifestyle with a Storage Unit Rental
Are you inspired by the minimalistic lifestyle but not ready to take the leap to getting rid of your stuff? We’ve got you covered! Jumping right into the lifestyle can be hard. With a storage unit rental, you’re able to keep seasonal items or other items you do not use very often out of your home and in a safe and secure location. This can help your home to be neater and clutter-free while you adjust to the minimalistic lifestyle.
Tri-Village Self Storage has storage facilities in Downtown Columbus, Grandview Heights, Dublin, Plain City, Powell, near Polaris and on Trabue Rd. A 5×5 or 5×10 storage unit will allow you to store out of season clothes, furniture pieces, books and more that do not get used very often. Reserve your storage unit today!