Hiring Movers vs. Doing a DIY Move: The Pros and Cons of Both
Posted on: April 20, 2018 | by: Joseph Beatty
The moving process is a never-ending stream of decision making. Once you decide to move, you have to decide on a new home, new doctors, a new grocery store… the list goes on and on. Another major decision you’ll have to make is to decide whether you want to hire movers or do a DIY move. Both options have many benefits to them, but they also have drawbacks.
In order to make this an easier decision for you, we put together a list of the pros and cons of both.
Arguments for Hiring Movers
- Help with the Physical Labor: A very obvious benefit of hiring movers to help with your move is that not all of the physical labor of moving will fall on you. Continually having to lift and move a large number of boxes can put strain on your body.
- Minimize Stress: When you are moving without the help of professional movers, you may have to rely on help from your friends. This can result in additional stress for you, because sometimes things come up last minute that may prevent your friends from being able to help you. When you hire movers to help, you can count on them reliably showing up when you need them to.
- Resources and Experience: A professional moving company will be able to offer you valuable resources and experience that can actually save you time and money. For example, they’ll know how to pack the moving truck to best optimize space and prevent you from needing to make multiple trips or rent another moving truck.
Arguments Against Hiring a Moving Company
- Personal Touch: When you pack your boxes yourself, you will have a better understanding of which boxes your items are in. This means that you may have an easier time unpacking your boxes when you’re in your new home.
- Hiring Movers Cost: Hiring movers isn’t cheap. Your movers will likely charge an hourly rate, so the cost of the move can increase with the number of items you have. Packing and moving your belongings yourself can save money you’d rather spend on other things.
- Dealing with Scams: Unfortunately, there are people out there looking to take advantage of your move. These scam artists know that people don’t usually move often and are generally treading in unfamiliar waters. Moving scam artists will attempt to take advantage of people by offering a very low price to attract customers. A common moving scam involves movers packing items into their moving truck, and then demanding more money from the customer in order to get the items back.
Tri-Village Has Storage Facilities in Columbus, OH
No matter which option you choose, a storage unit can be a great solution when you are moving. Storing your items in a self storage unit allows you to declutter your home when you are showing your house, get a head start on packing up your house or store items that will no longer fit in your downsized home. Tri-Village Self Storage has storage facilities in downtown Columbus, on Trabue Road and near Polaris. Our storage units come in a variety of sizes ranging from the 5×5 storage unit, to the much larger 5×10, 10×10 and 10×40 storage unit. Rent a storage unit today!