8 Long-Term Storage Tips from the Experts
Posted on: May 25, 2018 | by: Joseph Beatty
]There are many reasons you may want to store your items long-term. Maybe you need more space in your home, or maybe you are looking to take care of seasonal storage space. Preparing your items for long-term storage can take time and work, but taking the proper measurements to keep your items safe in storage is always worth the effort. If you’re looking to store any item for 3 months or longer, try out these 8 tips!
The 8 Top Long-Term Storage Tips
- Use New, Clean Boxes: When you are storing your items for a long period of time, it is extremely important to use new boxes. While using recycled boxes for moving is a smart and environmentally friendly way to cut back on moving costs, it is not a good idea to store items in used boxes. Even if the boxes are empty, they can still have a food smell which can attract pests and vermin.
- Keep Items off of the Floor: Moisture can seep up from the floor, damaging items that are in contact with it. Create a barrier between the floor and your items by placing your items on top of a tarp or pallet boards.
- Clean and Dry all items: If you’ve stored items in the past then you know the drill. Before you place any items into storage, make sure you clean and dry all of the items. When cleaning your items, consider adding bleach or baking soda to the cleaner to make sure any mold or bacteria is killed off.
- Create an Inventory List: If you don’t visit your storage unit for an extended period of time, you may forget what items are stored in your storage unit. Create an inventory list of the items stored in your storage unit.
- Leave Appliance Doors Open: Prevent moisture from getting trapped inside of your appliances by leaving the doors of the appliances open.
- Cover Upholstery with Sheets: Keep dust and dirt from settling on your furniture by covering your furniture pieces with sheets. Do not cover your furniture with plastic. This can trap moisture and prevent the furniture from breathing.
- Store Electronics and Valuable in a Climate Controlled Unit: When storing your items for a long period of time, consider utilizing a climate controlled storage unit. Fluctuations in temperature and humidity can damage any sensitive items in your storage unit. A climate controlled storage unit keeps temperatures stable so that your delicate items stay safe from damage.
- Check on Your Storage Unit: The more often you check on your storage unit, the less likely your items will suffer from damage. Typically when using a long-term storage unit rental, people only check up on their items a couple of time a year. We don’t recommend waiting this long to visit your storage unit. If there is an issue with your items or storage unit, it is important to know about it as soon as possible.
Tri-Village Self Storage Has Long-Term Storage Unit Rentals
We sell all the packaging materials needed for successful long term storage. Tri-Village Self Storage has storage facilities in the Downtown Columbus, OH, Polaris, OH, Grandview Heights, OH, Plain City, OH, Powell, OH and Louisville, KY area. Our storage facilities offer climate controlled storage unit options, ideal for when you’re storing items long-term. Ready to store your items in a storage unit for longer than three months? Contact us today!