How to Store a Mattress
Posted on: March 21, 2018 |
You spend about one-third of your day sleeping. When you think about it like that, you realize how important it is to have a quality mattress. So, what happens to your body when you get inadequate sleep due to having a damaged mattress? You can experience a whole slew of health concerns, including obesity, a weakened immune system, risk for diabetes and memory issues.
A time when your mattress has an increased chance of getting damaged is when it is being moved and stored. If a mattress isn’t moved and stored properly, it can result in structural or quality damage. For OSU college students moving home for this summer, this is something very important to take into account. The last thing a busy college student needs is issues sleeping caused by a damaged mattress.
Whether you are a college student or not, before moving or storing your mattress, check out these tips and learn how to store a mattress properly.
The Best Tips for Storing a Mattress
- Clean the Mattress: Use an upholstery cleaner to clean the mattress. After it has been cleaning, vacuum it to remove any hair or leftover debris.
- Dismantle the Bed: Take the bed frame apart from the headboard. Place all nuts, bolts and screws inside of as plastic bag and tape them to the headboard for safe keeping during the move.
- Use a Mattress Bag: It is very important to protect your mattress with a mattress bag when moving or storing it. This will prevent it from being damaged by dirt or moisture.
- Store the Mattress Flat: A mattress was intended to lie flat on a structure. In order to prevent damage from occurring to the structure of the mattress, lay it horizontal during storage.
- Never Store Items on Top of the Mattress: Over time, storing items on top of your mattress can result in damage occurring to the frame.
How to Store Box Springs
If you are looking to store your mattress, you’re likely also looking to store your box springs. When it comes to storing a box spring, it is really just a much more simplified version of storing a mattress. Below are the tips for storing a box spring!
- Clean the Box Springs: Just like you’d never store a mattress that is dirty, you should never store dirty box springs. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove any dirt, hair or lint from the box spring.
- Use a Mattress Bag: In order to protect the box spring from any moisture, dust or dirt, move and store it in a mattress bag.
Tri-Village Self Storage has Self Storage Units in Buckeye Country
Are you looking for a storage unit near The Ohio State University? Tri-Village Self Storage has meticulously clean self storage facilities in Columbus near Upper Arlington, Grandview Heights and Downtown Columbus! We also have heated storage and climate controlled storage units that are ideal for the storage of more sensitive items, like a mattress. Are you interested in learning more about a self storage unit rental with Tri-Village Self Storage? Contact us today! If you have any questions regarding our mattress storage process or need additional help and information on how to store a mattress ask one of our representatives and we will be happy to assist you.