Tips for Moving and Storing a Refrigerator
Posted on: July 16, 2018 |
It is not uncommon to have to move an appliance like a refrigerator. But unfortunately, due to the weight of the object, it can be quite difficult to move. In this post, you will find tips for preparing a refrigerator for the move, as well as moving and storing it.
Essential Tips for Preparing and Moving a Fridge
- Empty the Refrigerator and Freezer: Before any other steps, take the time to remove any food or drinks from your refrigerator.
- Defrost the Refrigerator: At least five days before moving, start defrosting the refrigerator. This will give the fridge enough time to dry before storage.
- Clean Out the Fridge: Clean the inside of your refrigerator using a solution of baking soda and water. This will also help to remove any smells left in your fridge.
- Move the Refrigerator Upright: A failed compressor isn’t an uncommon problem to have when moving a refrigerator. Use a dolly to maneuver the refrigerator. The fridge is going to be very heavy and relying on muscle-power can result in an injury. If you do have to tilt the refrigerator, let it sit for at least 48 hours before plugging it in again.
How to Store a Refrigerator
- Keep the Door Open: Prevent moisture from getting trapped inside of the refrigerator by keeping the fridge door open during storage. If moisture gets trapped inside of your refrigerator, it can result in the formation of mold or mildew. If you’re worried about the door shutting while the refrigerator is being stored, place a piece of wood inside of the fridge to keep it open.
- Absorb Moisture with Baking Soda: Place a box of baking soda inside of your refrigerator to absorb any moisture.
- Store Your Fridge in a Cool and Dry Location: When storing a refrigerator, it is important to choose a location that will keep it free from fluctuations in temperature and humidity. Due to the fluctuations in temperature and humidity, a garage and basement are not good locations to store your refrigerator. If you do not have a location in your home that is suitable for storing a refrigerator, consider a climate controlled storage unit rental. A climate controlled storage unit rental will maintain a constant range of temperature and humidity.
Tri-Village Has Household Storage Solutions
Are you looking for a place to store your appliances? Consider a storage unit rental. Tri-Village Self Storage has storage facilities in Downtown Columbus, OH, Grandview Heights, OH, Plain City, OH, Dublin, OH and Polaris, OH. Our storage facilities have a range of storage unit sizes, including the 5×10 and 10×10 storage unit. The 10×10 storage unit is an ideal solution for storing a refrigerator, washer and dryer and dishwasher. Find a storage unit near you today!